ACW 1861 Campaign Proposal

Allt som inte ryms inom ramen för de andra forumen hamnar här.

ACW 1861 Campaign Proposal

Postby mbrien » Apr 7th, '17, 10:59

Hi all! I hope everyone is doing well. Sorry for not being more active in the club lately but life is interfering with my fun.

So today I am posting this to hopefully get some feedback on a Campaign that I would like to run. It would be the American Civil War and we would start with 1861. Depending how it goes and how people like the campaign and the tactical battles will determine if we push on to 1862 and beyond.

I am willing to run the campaign using the board game Bobby Lee from Columbia Games http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/zoom.cfg?product_id=3301%20Link:
We will use the rules for all things except for combat. For large battles, we will use Alter of Freedom which Jesper and myself have used with our collection of 6mm miniatures. For smaller battles, we will use Black Powder with the great 28mm collections that are available from members of our club.

What I will need is a few commanders to command the Armies of the two sides. There will be a Supreme Commander for each side which will provide the orders for the Army’s and the individual commanders of the troops will determine how they will complete, or not complete, there orders.

So, for the Union I will need the following;
1 Person to be the Supreme Commander: General Scott
1 Person to be the Commander of the Department of Northeast Virginia: General McDowell
1 Person to be the Commander of the Department of Pennsylvania: General Patterson
1 Person to be the Commander of the Department of Annapolis: General Banks

For the Confederate side, I will need the following:
1Pperson to be the Supreme Commander: General Lee
1 Person to be the commander of the Army of the Shenandoah: General Johnson
1 Person to be the commander of the Army of the Peninsula: General Magruder

Once we have enough players to command all the major commands I will explain how things will work. Most of the turns will be conducted via E-mail. All communications from or too the Supreme Commander will go through me and any communications between other commands will also flow through me so that I can track movements on the game board and prepare the tactical battle scenarios for the miniature battles.

My goal is to generate battles and to add some flavor to the battles and time by having people in command of these groups of soldiers. So, I expect people’s personalities to affect how the game and campaign flows.

If you are interested please send me an email at: cavtroop50@hotmail.com or you can post a comment here. The commands will go to the first person that selects the commands. Some of their commands will see little action depending on how people play the game. It could be a lot of fun.

Have a good day.

VR

Mark
mbrien
Velite

Re: ACW 1861 Campaign Proposal

Postby Dansken » Apr 8th, '17, 10:55

Sounds like a fun setup for generating games and getting a historical backdrop to each scenario.
I'll bleach my beard and pick up the rains as Ol' Bobby Lee please!
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it".
Robert E. Lee
Dansken
Velite

Postby mbrien » Apr 8th, '17, 11:37

Cool I have you signed up for General Lee.

Now we just need the rest of the Confederate Army and the Union Army.

Dansken wrote:Sounds like a fun setup for generating games and getting a historical backdrop to each scenario.
I'll bleach my beard and pick up the rains as Ol' Bobby Lee please!
mbrien
Velite

Postby Jeppan » Apr 9th, '17, 20:30

I would like to join in, though I do not have any specific preference.
Jeppan
Primus Pilus

Postby mbrien » Apr 10th, '17, 08:44

Hej Jesper,

Tack for wanting to participate. I will put you in charge of the Union Army for now, General Scott's job unless someone else wants to command.

Really all we need is the two Army commanders. It would me more fun to have the other commands but we can do the campaign with just you and Soren.

I will wait to the end of the week to see if we get more participants.

Thank you!!

Mark

Jeppan wrote:I would like to join in, though I do not have any specific preference.
mbrien
Velite

Postby Jeppan » Apr 10th, '17, 16:56

Scott's job will do fine! Count me in.... :)
Jeppan
Primus Pilus

Postby mbrien » Apr 11th, '17, 08:30

Thank you!

I plan to wait until Saturday before we start, this way it gives other members of the club time to join up.
If not we can start and add people as they become interested.

Have a good week!

Mark

Jeppan wrote:Scott's job will do fine! Count me in.... :)
mbrien
Velite

Postby mbrien » Apr 16th, '17, 10:39

Hi Jesper,

I just tried to send the files for the start of the campaign to your email address, I am getting a "mail box full" error message. Please let me know the best way to get you the files.

Tack

Mark
mbrien
Velite

Postby Jeppan » Apr 16th, '17, 20:33

Understod.....I have done a Mail Box clean out.....you may try again :)
Jeppan
Primus Pilus

Postby mbrien » Apr 17th, '17, 12:57

Tack,
I will send the files to you very soon!

VR

Mark

Jeppan wrote:Understod.....I have done a Mail Box clean out.....you may try again :)
mbrien
Velite

Postby Jeppan » Apr 17th, '17, 15:08

Got it all! :D
Jeppan
Primus Pilus

Postby Orm » Apr 17th, '17, 21:45

Sounds very interesting and fun Mark! Unfortunately I'll be unable to participate due to several time consuming commitments, but the idea of using a board game for a campaign is very inspiring.

Are you familiar with the Vassal engine? It really facilitates PBEM (play by email) since it allows all players to play a virtual version of the game, which makes things a lot easier. I use it a lot for the COIN series of games and it works great once you get a hang of it. A Bobby Lee module is available: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Bobby_Lee

Cheers,
Gunnar
Orm
Triari

Return to Offtopic